Heart Awareness Month September 2022 – Wellness Newsletter
Heart Awareness Month September 2022
Heart Awareness Month September 2022: September is dedicated to raising awareness about heart disease and its risk factors in South Africa, and the importance of living a healthy lifestyle to prevent heart disease. The month culminates in World Heart Day on the 29th of September 2022.
Heart Foundation: Heart Awareness Month
HOW DO I TAKE CARE OF MY HEART HEALTH?
80% of heart disease can be prevented by healthy living and making practical changes to our everyday lives.
FOCUS ON THE MIDDLE
If you are carrying extra fat around your middle, it is time to slim down.
- Cut down on unhealthy fats
- Eat your 5 a day vegetables and fruit
- Reduce your salt intake, particularly prevalent in fast food
- Eat less meat and more fish
STOP SMOKING, NO IFS AND NO BUTTS
Smoking tobacco is one of the biggest causes of cardiovascular disease.
- Smoking damages your arteries,
- It reduces your blood oxygen levels,
- It raises your blood pressure,
- Stay away from second hand smoke.
Heart & Stroke Foundation: Stop Smoking
GET MOVING: TAKE THOSE STAIRS!!
Exercise is essential for good heart health.
- Take the stairs instead of the lift
- Walk to see colleagues at work,
- Join a dance class, walk the dog,
- Aim to exercise at least 30 minutes a day.
FIND YOUR HAPPY PLACE
A sunny outlook may be good for your heart as well as managing your stress.
- Managing stress can help to prevent heart disease, depression, and high blood pressure,
- Chronic stress, anxiety, and anger can raise your risk of heart disease,
- A sunny outlook may help you stay healthier for longer – Laughter could really be the best medicine.
ALCOHOL AND YOUR HEART
- Too much alcohol can raise your blood pressure and weight, increasing the risk so of a heart attack,
- Heavy drinking may also weaken the heart muscle, which means that the heart can’t pump blood efficiently. This is called cardiomyopathy and can cause heart failure.
Disclaimer: The information and opinions in this document have been recorded and arrived at in good faith and from sources believed to be reliable, but no representation or warranty, expressed or implied, is made to their accuracy, completeness or correctness. The information is provided for information purposes only and should not be construed as the rendering of advice. Informed Healthcare Solutions accordingly accepts no liability whatsoever for any direct, indirect or consequential loss arising from the use of this document or its contents. IHS is a licensed financial service provider: FSP # 12239